Thursday, May 19

Ski Club

Kenni Jumps higher

Ah so what do we do with our time here? Well mostly we hang around with the afore mentioned ‘Ski club’ (they do anything but ski, and they drink far too much). Of course, whilst having an amazing time and all that quite ridiculously positive stuff, we are intensely involved in some very heavy and serious cultural research. I wish someone to invent the super-inverted, super-sarcastic inverted comma for me please, so it would have this effect: ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘cultural research’ ’ ’ ’ – oh there is definitely a whimsical, yet mildly amusing, no no no… ‘whimsical, yet charming’ design project there.

Ski Club Friend

I really enjoy becoming a child and actually having to be creative with what I am saying, there might be an actor in me yet (don’t worry Mum & Dad, not even considering it). The process of describing the banal becomes both humorous and challenging, involving the movement of brain cells, bodies, and pen on paper. It is such a change from being an English arse on this website, relying on, and playing up to literal convention upon convention to project verve and personality. I am yet to totally overcome inhibition though, there is a stopping point when trying to communicate with friends, where I say ‘shinpie shinade’, ‘forget it/don’t worry’, where my mind doesn’t allow me a way to communicate my meaning.

Now I have spent a little longer integrating into the ski club I realise the same old ‘troubles with society’ are more prevalent. On Monday we were in their clubhouse which happens to be opposite the comic book club’s clubhouse. I noticed a bit of animosity in the two clubs toward each other involving the lack of conversation and closed doors. When I asked about the comic book club, my friend showed me this writing on the side of a ski club locker which apparently said ‘Ski Club Stinks’ (untranslates back into something very offensive). Apparently the comic book club was responsible, so ski club retaliated by sticking gum in their door lock. I couldn’t help laughing at the ski club when I heard the comic book club’s retaliation – they put cement in the ski club’s door lock, so now it’s completely useless. Perhaps it is the same thing that happens everywhere, you put two peoples with different value systems in the same proximity, and they don’t understand each other so they fight. The comic book club is (maybe) quiet, reserved, typically ‘geeky’, and the ski club is outgoing, eccentric, drunk.

Anyway tonight I am off to do some heavy duty (open super-inverted comma) cultural research (and close) by going to a party hosted by the students from the experimental media course.